I know it affects mine! For two years now, the company my husband works for has either given a very teeny, tiny raise (last year); or no raise at all (this year). The reason (excuse) - "The Economy". What does that mean, exactly? How far does it go? When does it stop? Does it stop?
I can't find a good definition of "middle class." So, here is my definition as it applies to my life:
If I were firmly middle class then
- When a bill comes in the mail, I could open the envelope, write a check, and put it in the mail - no waiting until the next paycheck or putting it off until the day its due and floating a check
- I could get a loan for a home. Apparently, I can pay $1,050 a month in rent, however, the bank doesn't think I can pay the same (or less!) on my own home! (More on this later!)
- I wouldn't have to tell my kids that they can't play sports because I can't afford it
- I wouldn't get free food once a month from the care center
- I wouldn't have to hear my mom tell me that I shouldn't have quit that good job I had to stay at home and raise my kids (OK, so this one will never happen, but I can dream, right?)
- I could get the A/C in my van fixed! Seriously, I'm not even asking for a new one - have you been in SC in August with no A/C?? (Imagine Chandler Bing from Friends saying that last line, "Have you been in SC in August with no A/C?"
- And finally (although I'll think of more later), my husband could quit his second job!